Pharmacy Museum

In the center of Cluj-Napoca, in the southern corner of Unirii Square, in 1954, professor Bologa from the Faculty of Medicine and Pharmacy founded a museum: the Pharmacy History Collection. It is under the coordination of the National History Museum of Transylvania and is located in the oldest pharmacy in Cluj, the Hintz house. The first documentary attestation of this space as a pharmacy was in 1573, the building being owned between 1863-1949 by the Hintz family of pharmacists.

In recent years, the building has undergone extensive renovation and expansion. The collection includes a number of approximately 7000 authentic objects, presenting the evolution of the pharmaceutical industry and medicine in Transylvania. The unique 18th century pharmaceutical decorations provide the background for presenting the atmosphere of a traditional pharmacy. The vast majority of the exhibits belong to the objects collection of professor Iuliu Orient (1869-1940) – old pieces of furniture from the 17th – 19th centuries, wooden vessels and prints.

The museum space faithfully reproduces the structure of a medieval Transylvanian pharmacy: the Oficina, the room where medicines were sold, the materials room for the storage of raw materials and the laboratory for the production of medicines using different technologies.

Address: Unirii Square, no. 28, Cluj-Napoca

Phone:  (004) 0741-114.389, (004) 0264-593.814

Web: www.muzeulfarmaciei.mnit.ro

E-mail: [email protected], [email protected]

Schedule:  Tuesday–Sunday: 10:00–18:00

Bánffy Castle from Răscruci, Bonțida commune

The Bánffy Castle in Răscruci, Bonțida commune, was built at the end of the 18th century and has been included in the list of historical monuments in Romania since 2010, being part of the heritage of the Cluj County Council. The castle was built in an eclectic neoclassical style, being surrounded by a park. The current form of the Răscruci domain is the work of Baron Ádám Bánffy.

The baron studied in Berlin, and in 1873, in Karlsbad he met some carpenters from Breinz (a Swiss region famous for its carpentry workshops), and for two months he took lessons from them. Around 1875, the baron set up a workshop in the great hall on the first floor of the Răscruci castle. Here he made the coffered ceiling of the dining room, in the style of the German Renaissance paneling, pieces of furniture, the carpentry elements in the central hall. Baron Bánffy made decorative ceramic objects and two terracotta stoves with rich plastic decoration in his workshop in the castle.

The coats of arms of the old owners and the names of the most representative personalities from the history of Hungary and Transylvania are printed on the boxes in the ceiling. Above a door is carved the Latin inscription “Salus intratibus pax exeuntibus” (“Health to those who enter, peace to those who leave”). He made the wooden paneling and parquet of the hall, the neo-Renaissance furniture and, in the winter of 1878–1879, the terracotta stove with green enamel. It seems that this would have been made after the model found in the salon of Emperor Franz Josef. On the three sides of the upper part of the stove are carved scenes depicting the election of chieftain Arpad, the foundation of Hungary and the meeting at Ópusztaszer. The three outlined scenes above the girdle immortalize the loss of the 1526 Battle of Mohács by the Hungarians. It was presented in 1900 at the Paris Exhibition.

Between the years 1885–1886, were built the rooms on the upper floor, the sumptuous central hall that includes the stairs with the solid wooden railing and the skylight of the hall, with stained glass windows. In 1948, the state nationalized this castle, between 1967-2007 a special school operated here under the General Directorate of Social Assistance and Child Protection Cluj. Through an extensive restoration process, which took place between 2021-2023, the castle was restored to its former glory. Currently, the edifice has been transformed into a cultural reference point, representative of Transylvania, also able to host cultural-artistic events.

Sâncraiu traditional house

In the center of the Sâncraiu commune is a traditional house belonging to the Hungarian community, dating back to 1870. In its rooms, three thematic exhibitions are organized meant to present the specific treasure of the area:

  • room 1: collection of painted plates and other ceramic objects;
  • room 2: wood carving workshop;
  • room 3: clean room, specific to the Land of Călata: painted plates, collection of folk costumes, bed with embroidered pillows, collection of crowns, etc.

Phone: (004) 0745-637.352

E-mail: [email protected]

Web: www.davincze.ro/ro/contact/

The traditional house – Owl Fortress

In 1870, in the Văleni village, Călățele commune, the Pandur family built a house with only one room, later known as the one-beam house. In the first decades of the 20th century the house was extended, by sticking to the east side another house which was demolished and stuck in the position where it is still found today. After 1981, the house was used by the young people of the village for meetings during the winter holidays, they named it “Bagoly Vár” (Owl House). Currently, the property is owned by two Scottish citizens who founded the association – TARNAT- Kalotaszeg Durabil. A part of the house is organized as a small village museum, where workshops and meetings related to the traditional techniques of restoring old houses are organized.

Phone: (004) 0731-629.418

Facebook:  www.facebook.com/tarnatkalataszegdurabil

Gherla Memorial

Address: Cărămizii Street, no. 2A, Gherla

Phone: (004) 0723-360.582

E-mail: [email protected]

Web: www.memorialulgherla.ro

www.facebook.com/MemorialulGherla

On the map of the Romanian Gulag, Gherla is one of the prominent places. Thousands of people, including personalities of the interwar Romanian elite, were imprisoned, and some of them lost their lives in the Gherla prison.

To honor the memory of those who suffered in Gherla during the period of political detention, ÎPS Father Archbishop and Metropolitan Andrei took the initiative to build a memorial. In this regard, the Gherla Memorial Association and the Holy 40 Martyrs Monastery were established to include the memorial complex. It is built on Cărămidăriei Hill near the city of Gherla, in the area where there was a mass grave where those who lost their lives in prison were thrown.

Andrei Bojor Museum Complex

Address: Mureșenii de Câmpie, Palatca Commune

Phone: (004) 0742-318.599

E-mail: [email protected]

Web: www.muzeulrefugiatilor.eu/

The Museum Complex seeks to bring back into attention the memory of the traditional Transylvanian village, by what it is recognized for: space, culture, time, traditions and crafts. This is a National Refugee Museum and it wants to be an emblematic national cultural unit, which, being focused on the Romanian refugee, aims to define this episode of national history, both from a historical and social point of view. The building has in its composition several rooms including a large exhibition hall equipped for the organization of certain actions such as: colloquiums, symposia, scientific communication sessions, or various meetings of the National Federation of Refugees and an office also used as a room for documentation. The building has a 60 m.p. esplanade in front which allows the organization of larger outdoor actions.

Piatra Craiului Monastery Museum

Address: Bucea Village, Negreni Commune

Phone: (004) 0722-823.300

Web: www.manastireapiatracraiului.ro/

An ethnographic exhibition space was set up in the premises belonging to the Monastery of St. Ioan Jacob from Hozeva in Bucea village. The basic exhibition is composed of elements specific to the Romanian community from the villages surrounding the Piatra Craiului massif: traditional carpets, fabrics, elements of traditional techniques used to make the fabrics.

The Xylography Museum

Address: Principală Street, no. 52, Hășdate, Gherla

Phone: (004) 0766-241.181

E-mail: [email protected], [email protected]

Web: www.muzeuldexilogravura.ro/xilogravuranoua.html

The Hășdate area was one of the areas where, in the medieval period, the craft of wood engraving developed. The first woodcuts known and preserved in the Hășdate area are dated 1787. The first artifact of this type is signed by the craftsman Gheorghe Pop from Hășdate, who came from a family that had come to the area in the 16th century from Moldova.

The museum is made by one of the descendants of the Pop family who brought this craft to the Hășdate area out of the desire to bring back to the community’s attention the popular artistic phenomenon that was specific to the area in the 18th century.

The Mill Museum

Address: Bologa Village, Poieni Commune

Phone: (004) 0740-161.782

E-mail: [email protected]

Web: www.facebook.com/moaradeapabologa

In the Bologa village, a few km from Road E60, which connects Cluj-Napoca and Oradea, we find one of the monuments of traditional rural architecture in Transylvania: the Bologa Watermill. This mill is kept in the backyard of some locals and is in perfect working order, representing a true open-air museum piece.

Visitors can observe the functionality of a mill, which is still used today for washing traditional upholstery elements. In the main room of the mill, a collection of objects specific to the local Romanian community from the mountain area of ​​Cluj county was arranged.

Constantin Prezan Museum

Address: Ștefan cel Mare Square, no. 1-3, Cluj-Napoca

Phone: (004) 0264-596.981

Web: www.muzeulmilitar.ro/cluj-napoca/expozitii/

Schedule: Monday-Friday 10:00-17:00

The permanent exhibition of the “Marshal Constantin Prezan” Military Museum, the “Transylvania” Branch of the “King Ferdinand I” National Military Museum, presents the history of the Transylvania region and its military evolution from antiquity, the Middle Ages and the modern period to the present day. The collection totals over 300 heritage objects and photo panels, four rooms being dedicated to the activity of the 4th “Gemina” Infantry Division and its missions in the international theaters of operations.

Also highlighted are the personalities of Marshal Constantin Prezan, the first commander of the 4th (Northern) Army in 1916 and of Generals Gheorghe Avramescu and Nicolae Dascălescu, both commanders of the same Army Corps in the Second World War.

For the hall dedicated to the ancient period, the Museum’s specialists collaborated with those of the National Museum of Transylvania in Cluj-Napoca regarding the theme of ideas and objects.