The fortress that we can admire today in Gilău, dates from the 15th century. The land on which the construction is located today was successively owned by the diocese of Oradea, and then will return to the diocese of Transylvania. In the middle of the 15th century, the Gilău fortress became the residence of Queen Isabella of Hungary, but it underwent multiple changes over the years, having a succession of owners.
Prince George Rákóczi II ordered in 1649 the transformation of the old medieval fortress into an imposing castle, fulfilling the function of princely residence. A few years later, in 1911, the Bánffy family regained possession of the castle, after a period in which the castle was in the possession of Count Losonczi Bánffy Dénes, radically changing the appearance of the building.
During the Second World War the castle underwent major transformations, following that during the communist regime period the garden was used as a public administration office. The castle hosted various children camps, and until 2002 when Tamás Barcsay claimed the castle, the building was used as a school for children with disabilities.
If we talk about the construction of the castle, we must know that it has as architecture the style of the Transylvanian Renaissance, being arranged on two levels, and the access to the upper level was made using one of the 5 existing stairs, three exterior and two interior.
The inner courtyard is of impressive dimensions, having the shape of a rectangle. In each corner of the domain we find a tower, the four being different in shape and size. In the park that borders the building, the ruins of a Roman camp were discovered.
Currently the castle is retrocessed and we hope in the future for a restoration of the castle, so we can enjoy again the story and the beauty of this jewel of Transylvanian architecture.