Skip to content

The statue of Avram Iancu

In 1995, in the area between the Lucian Blaga National Theater and the Orthodox Cathedral, the municipality placed the work of the sculptor Ilie Berindei representing Avram Iancu. Avram Iancu (1824-1872) was the leader of the Romanian revolution of 1848 in Transylvania, managing to resist the attacks of Lajos Kossuth, the leader of the Hungarian revolutionary troops.

The statue was made of bronze, on a pedestal of stone blocks, in the middle of an artesian well. The pedestal is surrounded by a statuary ensemble that symbolizes three tulnicărese – women from the Apuseni Mountains who used a popular tool to send messages between villages in the mountains.