Address: Principală Street, no. 4, Ciucea, jud. Cluj
Phone: (004) 0264-259.003
E-mail: [email protected]
Schedule: Tuesday–Sunday: 09:00 – 17:00
Octavian Goga was one of the most important personalities of Romania in the interwar period, one of the most important poets of Romanian literature and prime minister of Romania. In order to help the family of his friend, the poet Ady Endre, Octavian Goga buys his domain from Ciucea. He rebuilt the mansion, transforming it into an architectural monument in Brancoveanu style, and bought a property in the vicinity of the Reformed church, a property on which he built a monastery.
This domain becomes the permanent residence of Octavian Goga and the place where his funerary monument is located. Between 1938-1958, through the efforts of the poet’s widow, Veturia Goga built the “Mausoleum”, raised according to the plans of the architect G.M. Cantacuzino. This mausoleum is actually the funerary crypt of the Goga family.
In 1967, following a donation made to the Romanian state by the poet’s wife, Veturia Goga, the Octavian Goga Memorial Museum was built. The institution’s patrimony includes over 14,000 pieces organized on collections, exhibited or stored in the rooms of the museum complex.
The museum evokes the life and activity of the great poet by means of documents, books and photographs, but especially through the exhibition of a large number of objects that belonged to him, such as: a German chest from the 18th century, a Florentine case made in Transylvania in the 16th century, 2 armchairs covered with Cordoba leather dated in the 17th century, as well as Bidermazer armchairs and sofas.