The park is also known as “Babeş” Park and belongs to “Babeş-Bolyai” University. It was built between 1930 and 1932, at the initiative of the illustrious professor Iuliu Haţieganu, the rector of Cluj University, who wished to offer the young people of Cluj, in particular to the students, the possibility to access a park equipped for recreational activities.
The initial project of the park was rewarded the bronze medal at the “Sports Architecture Exhibition” in 1936 at the Olympic Games from Berlin.
Positioned along Someş river, the park has an area of 25 ha, of which more than half is represented by green areas with alleys, greenswards with flower patches, areas with trees and scrubs, thus also serving as a promenade area, as well as a sports one.
Recently modernized, the park offers a covered swimming complex, an athletics room, a room for sport games, aerobics room, bodybuilding room, athletics track, football pitches with lawn and clay, rugby pitch, mini-football pitch with a synthetic and nocturnal area, tennis pitches with clay and bitumen.