Dăbâca Fortress is located on the Fortress Hill, on the upper terrace of the Lona valley. According to archaeological research, it was built in several stages, in short periods of time and evolved, from the collective fortification status, to that of the Dăbâca county residence.
The construction had a triangular shape, with a north-facing peak. Initially it had on the south-west side several waves of dirt and defense ditches, and on the other sides wooden palisades. The palisades were destroyed in the 11th century, following conflicts with the cumans and pecenegs tribes. Afterwards, the dirt waves were further raised and the palisade system was restored. The access in the fortress was through two gates, one in the north side and one in the south-west side, both with a wooden tower. At the end of the 12th century the palisades are replaced by stone walls with towers and a donjon.
The fortress was destroyed during the tatars invasion from 1241-1242. It was rebuilt, but failed to regain its original importance, its role being taken over by Martinuzzi fortress in Gherla. Currently, the remains of the fortress are partially covered with dirt. It can be visited, access is not restricted.