Churches and Monasteries
“Adormirea Maicii Domnului” (Assumption) Monastery
“Adormirea Maicii Domnului” (Assumption) Monastery from Nicula Locality is among the most representative monasteries from Transylvania, especially due to the iconostasis which has the miracle-making icon of Virgin Mary in its centre, which would have shed tears in 1699. In the present, the greatest pilgrimage of Transylvania takes place on August 15th of every year, with the occasion of celebrating the Assumption holiday. Other representative attractions from the precinct of the monastery are the wooden church from the 17th century and the workshop for the creation of glass-painted icons.
”Adormirea Maicii Domnului” Orthodox Metropolitan Cathedral
Between 1923 and 1933, at the initiative of bishop Nicolae Ivan and with the support of the Royal House of Romania, the Episcopal cathedral is built on Avram Iancu Square from Cluj-Napoca, a monument in the byzantine style with defining elements of Brâncoveanu style. Presently, a museum which presents the history of the Orthodox eparchies from Cluj area, the iconographic art and the crypt of hierarchs was opened in the basement of the cathedral.
“Sfântul Mihail” (Saint Michael) Roman-Catholic Church
Saint Michael Roman-Catholic Church, which dominates Unirii Square in Cluj-Napoca, is an important Gothic edifice from Transylvania. The church tower, designed in neo - Gothic style, together with the cross on its top, have a height of 80 m. The building of the church dates from 1316, in the time of Charles I of Hungary (“Carol Robert de Anjou”).
Neologist Synagogue, located in Cluj-Napoca on Horea St., is an architectural monument from the end of the 19th century, with Moor elements such as the facade and the four towers. In the present it is also known as the “Temple of deportees”.
The Church of The Franciscan Monastery
The Church of The Franciscan Monastery, found in Cluj-Napoca, in the Museum Square, the place of worship being built by the Franciscan order on the place where the first church of the city was built in the 11th century. The funerary monuments of the Transylvanian aristocrats can be found in the lateral chapels, the most important of which being the one of Korniş family, arranged at the initiative of Count Sigismund, the governor of Transylvania.
“Schimbarea la Faţă” Greek Catholic Cathedral
In Cluj-Napoca municipality, on Eroilor Boulevard, the Franciscan-Minorite Order decides in 1779, with the support of Queen Maria Theresa, to build a church which serves today to the Greek Catholic Cathedral. The Baroque church has the shape of a room, with polygonal altar with a facade enhanced by the double vertical pillars. The church returned to the Romanian Church United with Rome, presently being the Cathedral of Cluj – Gherla Episcopacy.
“Calvaria” Roman-Catholic Church
In the district of Mănăştur, on a hill which in the medieval period dominated the town entrance, is found one of the most important institutions of medieval Transylvania, the Benedictine abbey from Cluj-Mănăştur, which subordinated directly to the Archbishop of Esztergom. The church of today was built after 1896 and contains some elements of the churches from the preceding eras: the old gate of the church or a sun dial on which the name of abbey Anton can be seen.
“Sfânta Maria” („Saint Mary”) Roman-Catholic Church from Turda
Gothic architectural monument with abutments with inscriptions. An important number of sessions of the Transylvanian Diet took place here and in 1568, the first religious tolerance edict from Europe was adopted.
“Sfânta Treime” („Holy Trinity”) Armenian-Catholic Cathedral from Gherla
Gherla town is known in the medieval age as Armenopolis, being one of the important Armenian community centres from Central and South-eastern Europe. The Cathedral, an impressive architectural monument, is located in the centre of the locality and has a patrimony of great value pieces, amongst which a painting containing style elements which indicate that it would have been painted in Rubens workshops.
”Sf. Nicolae” (Saint Nicholas) Wooden Church from Cizer
Wooden Church from Cizer – “Romulus Vuia” Ethnographic Park from Cluj-Napoca. The church was transferred from Cizer village, County of Sălaj and is made of massive oak logs. The pronave is in polygonal plane with five sides and the nave and the altar have polygonal shape. The importance of the church, founded in 1773, is also a historical one, at its building having also participated Horea, the main leader of the uprising of Romanian peasants from 1784, as it results from an inscription on the vault of the nave.