Skip to content
Muzeul Mitropoliei Clujului

Museum of Cluj Metropolitan Church

Address: Avram Iancu Square, no. 18 

Phone: (004) 0264-431.004

Web: www.mitropolia-clujului.ro/muzeul-mitropoliei/

Schedule: Tuesday–Saturday: 10:00 – 17:00

                   Sunday: 12:00 – 17:00

In the Cluj Archiepiscopate palace in Avram Iancu Square, an Eparchial Museum was settled up in 1924, at the initiative of Bishop Nicolae Ivan. The museum was opened to the public in 1938, its collections being arranged in several spaces on the second floor of the eparchial residence.

During the 2000s, the museum was reorganized into a space in the basement of the cathedral to be reopened to the public at the initiative of Metropolitan Bartholomeu Anania. The reorganization of the collection was carried out by a team of specialists coordinated by academician Marius Porumb. The museum was reopened on December 6, 2011, in the presence of the new Metropolitan of Cluj IPS, Andrei Andreicuț and Patriarch Daniel of the Romanian Orthodox Church.

The museum collection includes an important patrimony of old Romanian books and icons on wood and glass from the 17th century, painted in the iconographic centres of Feleacu and Nicula. In the crypt of the hierarchs are the graves of the Orthodox bishops of Cluj: Bishop Nicolae Ivan – the first Romanian Orthodox hierarch after the re-establishment of an Orthodox eparchy in the Cluj area, Archbishop Teofil Herineanu, Archbishop and Metropolitan Bartholomeu Anania, the access being free for those who wish to exclusively visit this part of the museum.