Address: Mihail Kogălniceanu Street, no. 1
Phone: (004) 0264–405.300
E-mail: [email protected]
Schedule: Monday–Friday: 10:00–14:00
In the central building of Babeş-Bolyai University is located the Paleontology and Stratigraphy Museum of the Biology and Geology Faculty. It holds a collection of over 50,000 objects, being structured in thematic collections. The patrimony is composed of some objects from the collection of Francisc Iosif University inaugurated in 1872 and samples donated by geology professors and students. Of the 50,000 samples, 30,000 are permanently exposed and are organized thematically:
- Paleontology Taxonomic Collection – follows the evolution of life throughout the geological eras starting with the Paleozoic (Carboniferous 354 Ma) and ending with the Pleistocene (1.81 Ma).
- The Types Collection – the most valuable collection in the museum, composed of over 200 fossil species (plants and animals) new to science.
- General Stratigraphy Collection – includes several fossils collections of stratigraphic importance and rocks from Romania or Europe.
- Stratigraphic Collection of the Transylvanian Basin
- The outdoor collection, located in the inside courtyard of Babeș-Bolyai University, includes large samples of eruptive, metamorphic and sedimentary rocks and even giant fossils (rudists).