Castles and Palaces
Banffy Castle from Bonțida
Banffy Castle from Bonțida is one of the representative architectural monuments for the Transylvanian Baroque, the richness of elements specific to this architectural style bringing it the name of “Versaille of Transylvania”. It was built by Banffy Family in Bonțida commune, locality found at approx. 30 km East from Cluj-Napoca. The main buildings of the palace are dominated by Renaissance architectural elements, with extensions in Baroque style having been made in the 18th century.
In 1919, the poet Octavian Goga buys from the poet Ady Endre's widow the estate from Ciucea, located at 80 km from Cluj-Napoca. On this estate, at the end of the 19th century, Ady Endre built a neo-Gothic castle. Between 1921 and 1926, Octavian Goga fundamentally modifies the architectural design by adding Brâncoveanu style elements. Today Ciucea Castle hosts Octavian Goga Memorial Museum.
In Unirii Square from Cluj-Napoca is found the most important architectural monument in Baroque style from Transylvania. It was built between 1774 and 1785 by the Governor Gheorghe Banffy. The main facade is an impressive one and keeps the coat of arms of the nobiliary family – the gryphon with sword and crown bordered by two other gryphons. Among the guests of the palace have been the Emperor Francisc I, Queen Karolina and Franz Lizt. Starting with 1951, the palace houses the collections of the Art Museum from Cluj-Napoca.
The Palace of Justice
The Palace of Justice is an eclectic style building built between 1900 and 1902, on the corner between Calea Dorobontilor and Stefan Cel Mare Square. There are two entrances: one through the northern facade and the other through the western one. They each display a portico at the entrances, made of four Doric columns which support a balcony found on the first floor.
The Administrative Palace
The Administrative Palace was built in 1910 in Secession style. It was initially built as a head office for the Chamber of Commerce and Industry from Cluj. In the period following the 2nd world war it functioned as City Hall, County Head Office for the Romanian Communist Party, head office for Cluj County Council and today it is the head office of the Prefecture from Cluj County.
Szeky Palace is found in the North-western corner of Mihai Viteazul Square and it was built in 1893 by Miklos Szeky, a famous pharmacist from Cluj. The edifice is one of the modern architectural monuments from Cluj, designed by the architect Samu Pecz in neo-Gothic style.
Rhedey Palace or the “House with chains” is located at the corner of Unirii Square with Napoca Street. The houses of many patricians of the city were located here even from the 16th century. In the 18th century this house becomes the property of Rhedey family, together with several buildings from Napoca street and are united under one facade. In 1972 the first permanent Hungarian theatre founded at Cluj-Napoca was opened in the palace ballroom.
City Hall Palace
The City Hall Palace was built between 1896 and 1897 after the plans of architect Ignac Alparsia and it was the head office of Cluj County. It is an impressive building, designed in eclectic style, in the shape of the letter “L”, with small side, length of approx. 47 m, being the most representative. On this side is found the main entrance in the edifice, the largest side being used for the offices of the administrative personnel.
Matthias Corvinus House
Matthias Corvinus House is the only building from the 15th century, which is found in the initial form. It is a Gothic building which was built by merging three houses, the ogival gate being the defining architectural element which classifies it in this style. According to the tradition, Matthias, King of Hungary, son of John Hunyadi, was born in this house.