Skip to content
Eastern Orthodox Church

“Sfântul Nicolae” Orthodox Church

The “Saint Nicholas” Church on Horea Street is the third Romanian church, in chronological order, built in the city of Cluj-Napoca. It is the first Byzantine style church built in Cluj-Napoca, the initiative for its construction was taken by Bishop Nicolae Ivan.

The project was designed by the architect George Cristinel, who was one of the architects of the Royal House of Romania, and the work was supervised by the engineer Tiberiu Eremia, who also supervised the works at the Reunification Cathedral in Alba Iulia. The iconostasis was made in Constantinople and was donated by Queen Maria of Romania. The church was built in record time between July and September 1932, becoming until 1933 the episcopal cathedral of Cluj.