Skip to content

Matthias Corvinus House

Matthias Corvinus House is an important attraction point of the city because the greatest king of Hungary, Matthias Corvinus, was born here. The building located on the street that bears his name was built before 1443, the year in which Matthias, son of Iancu de Hunedoara, who was the voivode of Transylvania at that time, was born.

It is a Gothic building, the oldest in the city, which was built by merging three houses, undergoing several changes over time. The ogival gate being the defining architectural element that frames it in this style.

In gratitude for the fact that this house provided shelter for his mother and for being his birthplace, Matthias Corvinus issued a decree, respected by all the kings of Hungary who succeeded him, by which this house was exempted forever from taxes payment.

In the 18th century, the house became part of the city’s patrimony, taking shape in turn as a military hospital and as a prison.

Starting with the 20th century, it enters the patrimony of the Transylvanian Carpathian Society, which opens here a beautiful museum, in the same time with the unveiling of the statue of Matthias Corvinus. With over 8,000 objects and 5,000 books, dedicated to tourism, balneology and ethnography, the museum was at that time one of the largest in Transylvania.

After World War II, the building served as a college for students, and later became the headquarters of the Art and Design University.