Skip to content

Izvoru Crisului Reformed-Calvinist Church

The Reformed – Calvinist Church from Izvoru Crișului, located in an area full of history of Cluj County, was documented in the 14th century. It is part of an impressive group of churches in the Land of Calata, an area that represents the cradle of centuries-old folk traditions.

The church is built of stone and is surrounded by a wall dating from the 14th century. Here we find important elements of architecture, which by their beauty keep alive the history of these places. The bell tower, the polychrome painted coffered ceiling, the pipe organ, the fabrics with specific motifs, all illustrate the traditions and customs of the community.

In the patrimony of the church there is a Turkish carpet of inestimable value, donated to the church in 1754 by a local. This rug was given to him by Prince György Rakóczi II as a token of gratitude  after a battle, for his help in treating the prince’s wounds.