The first evidence of the existence of a church in Sâncraiu dates back to the 13th century. The church in its current form dates back to the 18th century, in 1994 being restored the 220 boxes of the ceiling that have been painted with specific motifs of the area.
The church is surrounded with a wall of enclosure with three entrance gates. The bell tower was erected in 1762 and has three bells, the earliest being dated approximately around 1800. In the court of the church we find a bell from 1481 since the times of Matei Corvin.